Date Walnut Cake...!!!

Author: Siddhi Shirsat // Category:

Its Christmas season and everywhere i can see cakes and sweets so even i felt like baking some simple cake.This Date cake recipe is my grandmothers traditional eggless cake recipe.When i was small she used to make it many times and i used to love it.The best part of it is, its eggless and yet it turns out very soft and tasty.I make it often now and enjoy.My grandmother used to use to bake it in pressure cooker but i bake it using a oven or microwave.I add some walnuts instead of cashewnuts as they go well with dates.This cake is very simple to make yet tasty.But my grandmother used to use oil instead of butter.Once i had used butter, but the cake was not as spongy as with oil, so i make it now using olive oil.

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup all purpose flour
15 dates
3/4-1 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sliced walnuts
1/2 cup oil( i used olive oil)
1 tea spoon baking soda


METHOD:

Seive flour and baking soda 3-4 times together.This is very important to make the cake fluffy.Remove the seeds of the dates and Soak them in enough hot milk for 2 hours.

Now add sugar in soaked date and milk mixture and grind it to form a fine paste.Now add oil and whisk it.Now add half the flour mixture and mix it .Then add the remaining flour and whisk it well.

Batter is ready when it falls like a ribbon from a height.Add more milk to adjust the consistency if required.Finally add the chopped walnuts and mix well.

Preheat the oven and bake at 180 deg for 30-40 mins or till done.I used microwave to bake it.Mostly eggless cake becomes moist and sticky inside when baked in microwave, but i had got a new method so i tried it and it worked well.I preheated the microwave at 180 deg then i baked it at 180 deg for first 10 mins and then lowered the temp to 110 deg and baked for more 30 mins and cake was as fluffy and soft as baked in oven.

I kept it simple and did not add any icing.You can use simple whipped cream icing for it and sprinkle some honey.It tastes best when sprinkled with honey and served.

Preparation Time :40 mins

13 Responses to "Date Walnut Cake...!!!"

SE(Denufood) Says :
December 21, 2009 at 5:32 AM

hey..this post has inspired me to bake some eggless cakes..!!..and by the way did u bake it in microwave or microwave oven..??

SE(Denufood) Says :
December 21, 2009 at 5:33 AM

me too feel that Oil works better to make fluffy cakes.

Sarah Naveen Says :
December 21, 2009 at 6:03 AM

Yummy yumm!!! Perfect for the season..

Sushma Mallya Says :
December 21, 2009 at 9:55 AM

That looks so yummy,eggless one is always my favourite in cakes,never tried out date in cakes,sounds great,

Siddhi Shirsat Says :
December 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM

@denufood

i had baked it in microwave oven at convection mode.

Ushnish Ghosh Says :
December 21, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Dear Siddhi
I feel so good to see this traditional recipe for the cake.I have just put my old oven back into service. ( It is one of those vintage ones, and served me for 2 decades and was out of service for many years..while cleaning up, the cockroaches were very angry with me as I threw them out of their residence :-) )
I have preserved some good dates brought from Kuwait , I shall use them.
I forgot to write..the other day my wife saw your profile photo and was exclaiming, how come Sidhhi has pested our elder daughter's photo!! and when I had a closer look, I was surprised, you resemble her so much!! ha ha \
Have a nice week ahead

prasu Says :
December 21, 2009 at 6:02 PM

wow.........perfecto dear......lovely cake.

Malar Gandhi Says :
December 21, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Dear,

Good to see thi traditional cake recipe, too good.

Shared an Award with you. Please feel free to collect them.:)

Gulmohar Says :
December 21, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Wow...thanks for sharing your Grandma's recipe..Awesome combo of dates and walnut :-)

Deepa G Joshi Says :
December 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Dear Siddhi thanks to you and your granny for sharing such a nice and wonderful recipe..its quite helpful since many ppl prefer eggless cakes.

Spice Says :
December 22, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Perfect cake.....I also make same but instead i use dates paste(ready to use) which already have little oil in it so don't have to add x'tra oil....& yes....this one tastes real soft & moist....Cake is perfect for x'mas....Merry x'mas & happy holidays to u & u'r family....

TREAT AND TRICK Says :
January 31, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Thanks for droppping by and follow me, you have a great blog too, added you in my blog roll, hope to see u again.

The cake looks perfect and yummy.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails